Petition banned by 38 degrees – sex change protest
This is the second time Fair Play For Women has seen our petition banned. We mounted a Parliamentary petition to request legal definition of the words man and woman. It was rejected on grounds that it wasn’t clear what we wanted! While this looked like a strange response, we now realise it might have interfered with the UK government’s determination to obliterate human sex categories.
Along with yesterday’s article, Sex change law: UK says “I believe in magic”, we put a petition on 38 degrees asking the government to reconsider the implications of this policy development. This morning, 38 degrees took it down.
Lots of people had signed it, with reasonable commentary – thank you, everyone.
We think we are sane, articulate women. We’ve never incited harm or intolerance towards trans people; we merely ask for women’s health & safety to be considered along with improved trans rights. See for yourself:
According to 38 degrees it is ‘inappropriate’ to speak up for the rights of women to equal opportunities, privacy, and even a name for our distinct physiology.
Their response in full:
I’m afraid your petition is inappropriate for this website. The 38 Degrees team have reviewed the petition and whilst we absolutely understand the need to create safe spaces for all genders, we believe that this petition plays a lot on fear and discriminates against trans women and therefore breaks our terms and conditions.
Obviously we all hope that the government give full consideration to any new laws brought in, but we believe this petition attempts to play off the rights of one vulnerable minority group against the rights of another group. As such we are not happy to host this petition.
38 Degrees is independent of all political parties, and upholds values of freedom, democracy, peace, human rights, community, equality, fairness and sustainability. We reserve the right to remove any campaigns or comments that do not share these principles. We reserve the right to remove any petition which we judge to promote illegal acts, hatred, violence, discrimination or stereotypes based on race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, nationality or religion.
I don’t know about you, but I feel like we’ve already lost the right to name ourselves and talk about what makes 51% of the population different from the other 49%.
But FPFW will not give up!
We’ll get a petition banned every week if we have to …
“People. Power. Change. But not if you’re female, you can shut the hell up.”
We made a petition to protest about the banning!